Sunday, July 6, 2014

The white elephant in my craft room is GONE!!

It's been sitting there for over 6 years...that big box of photos, memorabilia & paper sets from our cruise  ... mocking me... taunting me.  Every time I start a new project or bring home new supplies, I can hear it "what about me?" "Why am I not important" "My memories are important - aren't they?" ... wait am I the only one whose projects talk? I'm not crazy I promise :-P.  The more time that past the more it felt like a chore to finish rather then a creative endeavor.  I'm really not even sure why it was so hard to focus on, it was a great trip & an important one too (my sister-in-law was married on it) but I just couldn't get going.  A few months ago I realize that this "white elephant" was holding me back from other things I wanted to do so I made it a challenge (to myself) to finish the album by summer.    While I didn't make that deadline exactly it is finally finished :-D.  Take a look at the last few pages (can't tell how good that feels to type!)

First off this one is based off of Mid-Week Mojo Pansy #1, sketch is here
The bottom picture was too wide to fit in the horizontal sketch so I flipped it 90 degrees to allow the pictures to be in a vertical row.  I wanted to pull in the orange tones of the shuttle boat & life buoy but the patterned paper was way too bright, competing with the pictures rather then complementing them.  So I mixed a slice of metallic gold gelato with gesso & lightly brushed it over the entire page.  While that was drying I lightly distressed & inked the blue paper & the "splish splash" word strip.  Once the gesso dried, I placed a polka dot stencil done & spread blue tinted gel medium over it to create a neat textural feature.  Finished it off with some pre-cut vellum pieces (by Studio Calico) & a metal sign as my title.

The next pages are a double layout & evidence of an idea in your head not matching the result.  Part of the problem was that by this point in the album I was running out of the paper collections I originally bought (six years ago) & didn't have much to supplement - that wasn't child or christmas 'themed' :-P. I wanted the layout to have a shabby-beach-chic sunbleached look, so I brushed on white distress paint  & lightly sprayed it with water.  Every beach scene needs sand & luckily for me Tim Holtz has an phenomenal technique on his blog ... except well I realized I didn't have UTEE so I dried using clear chunky embossing powder instead & I didn't have the right colors of distress embossing powder or distress glitter either so I used the standard varieties instead.  The result is far more gold then sand colored & not nearly as textural but I think it sort of conveys the idea anyways.

On this half of the page, as my mother would say, I had a major 'brain fart' & cut two of the pictures & the mat strip too small.  I don't have any easy way to replace the prints & like I mentioned running low on paper so I just went with it...but once it was done I realized it left a big hole between the pictures & title.  Ever feel like you just can't win?  I tried to fill it in with the journaling tag (colored with alcohol & spray ink) originally meant for the left page.  So probably not the most successful layout I've ever created but oh well.

Lastly I couldn't complete our cruise album without mentioning the second important element to the trip, it ended on our very first wedding anniversary :-).  Seriously how many couples get to sprend their first anniversary (or wedding for that matter!) cruising around the Caribbean?  After just about everything going wrong with the last layout I kept this one simpler with inked & layered paper. But I wanted to draw attention to the fact that this was our very first anniversary.  Unfortunately both of my Silhouette mats are out of commission so I couldn't use it - instead I hand cut (!) a numeral '1' out of cardstock & covered it with peacock distress glitter. 




















So finally the white elephant has been vanquished & I can now go onto to other things without out that nagging voice from the dark corner of my room ;-).

1 comment:

  1. Great layouts! I love the mixed media on pansy 1. And congrats on your win over at the Scrapbook Steals blog. Hope you play along with us again this week!

    ReplyDelete