Sunday, August 3, 2014

MWM Pansy #5

I've really enjoyed the past month's sketches provided by the talented Brenda Smith, this is her last week as guest designer so she provided two sketches to spark our pages this week.  Both sketches can be found here

In this year's Disney album I'm keeping each park's events together; i.e. all of Magic Kingdom pages together, all Epcot together etc.  So I used sketch 5A as the intro to the Animal Kingdom Pages.  I dug way back into my stash to find the Animal Cracker Collection by DCWV (circa '07, back when that was all I had access to!), it's cliche but I love the colors & "African" motif ;-).  However it was way too shiny & glittery, so I sanded the whole paper - lightly wet all the edges - sanded them - inked them (w/gathered twig Distress Ink) - sanded again - inked again & then heat set to crinkle the papers a bit.  I did this to all the paper except the base orange layer -WHY? - I honestly have no reason, it didn't occur to me until I got everything else glued down :-/.  The title is probably a good example of not knowing when to stop: applied 5 layers of ink & Perfect Pearls to make it looked 'weathered' & 'rugged', the result is darker then I intended but I think it still looks neat with the ink seeped into the canvas :-).

MWM Pansy 5a

Sketch 5B I used on the second half of a 2 page layout about Donald's safari Breakfast @ Tusker House:

Close-up of page 1

With this double layout I made the mistake of focusing on the second half (because I knew sketch 5B would work well with those 2 pictures) but I neglected to plan for the first half.  My first attempt was to use the sketch for the first side as well but that didn't work & neither did the next two attempts.  Finally I ended up with this version, it's definitely not my favorite page ever but it's the best one of the four & tells the story which is what counts (to my mind :-P).

Close-up of page 2 - MWM Pansy 5b







No comments:

Post a Comment