Almost 3 weeks later it's finally complete - took a lot longer then I had planned because the stain & then polyurethane took forever to dry in 90%+ humidity but it was worth it for the look ;-). I added some metal brackets on the side & a latch on the front to add the antique look. For the netting I took apart a crab net & stained it with Hickory Smoke, Wild Honey, Vintage Photo & a little bit of Cracked Pistachio to make it look like it had been in the Gulf for ages. Originally I had planned for (& cut) more sealife to embellish around the chest but I felt it took away from the chest itself so I kept it simpler. On the front is a pirate octopus & parrot slightly altered from Echo Park cut files & on the sides are seahorses & sand dollars from Tim Holtz's movers & shapers line.
I really love how the seahorses & sand dollars turned out. I die-cut both shapes from manila & the the sand dollars I inked with Scattered Straw & Antique Linen, then put some pop dots behind the star to bump it out from the base shape & chalked the edges of it, finally coated them with a light layer of Glossy Accents & dusted with clear Rock Candy glitter.
The seahorses I inked with a trio of colors ea; Tumbled Glass/ Salty Ocean/ Mermaid Lagoon, Spiced Marmalade/ Picked Raspberry/ Abandoned Coral, Cracked Pistachio/ Evergreen Bough/ Iced Spruce. To achieve the texture I coated each one with clear Crackle Paint & very lightly sponged over the cracks with Hickory Smoke.