Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Crafting for kids

Way back in Feb I had one of these rare afternoons free of kids & responsibilities so I put it to use making everything I wanted to send to my niece this spring.  So starting with Valentine's Day I made her a card (that I forgot to photograpgh :-/)  and a doll carrier.  We had given her a Bitty Baby for Christmas & had intended a stroller for her birthday (in Jan) but they were sold out, so I figured she still "needed" something to carry her baby in!  

Of course the hardest part of this whole enterprise was convincing my son to model his cousin's carrier so I could photograph it -- but then he didn't want to take it off & insisted on his own (but that's for another time ;-) ).

In full disclosure: The method  & creation of making this carrier is from my own mind but I the idea for the overall style of it came from a blog I read many years ago.  I always try to credit another crafter's ideas but I can't find the orgin now so I'm sorry if you happen to read this - unlikely but ya know?

With Valentine's Day done, I went forward to St. Patrick's Day.  My eldest daughter picked out some shamrock bracelets & then I made her this card:

Cut out some custom shamrock stamps on my Cameo & inked them up with Forest Moss & Mowed Grass before stamping all over a piece of white cardstock.  It was looking a little plain so I sprayed it with some gold Heidi Swapp Color Shine.  Modify a Silhouette file to get "Irish Lassie" & cut it out in two different fonts on Cameo - I love that you can cut multiple fonts & shapes at the same time with this machine!  The "hello" is stamped (Hampton Art I think) & of course topped off with ivory & gold twine.

After St. Pat's is of course Easter!  Ever since I saw Tim Holtz's alcohol ink technique  I've been wanting to try it.  Alcohol ink on metal is old news but did you know it works on plastic too?!  I finally found plain white eggs at our brand new Hobby Lobby & decided our niece was the perfect recipient.  After I colored the eggs I filled each one with some small treats & my eldest made a cloth basket to hold them so she (my niece) could play egg hunt anytime!
 

While I had my alcohol inks out I used them to color a piece of glossy cardstock & spread glitter texture paste through a star stencil.  Then wrote out "Happy Anniversary" with a Perfect Medium pen & coated it with Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls and fussy cut it out.  I needed something else to balance out the card & thought this present sitting in my scrap pile would work ;-).  Included this in the box to our niece for her parent's anniversary.


Now I've got to tell you that this much was done in Feb well before all these holidays & I had every intention of finishing & sending the package out in time .... but of course life gets in the way more often then we'd like to admit! So by the time I got back around to finishing it all off, my husband had gotten me one of SSS's monthly kits that had the cutest watercolor panel in it.  I decided it was serendipity & colored it in as my niece's Easter Card!

No comments:

Post a Comment