Monday, May 30, 2016

Creative Play

So I had some time to myself - such a rarity with 3 kids & a busy husband! - & had my new favorite medium, Distress Crayons, & one of my favorite stamp/die sets, Crazy Birds, out on my desk and decided to take May Flaum's advice to just play without pressure to make *something*.  And this was my end result...




I wanted to see how these crayons would work with embossing so I scribbled Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain & a little bit of Antique Linen on a piece of heavy white cardstock then used a broad waterbrush to blend them together.  I then inked up my woodgrain embossing folder (by Teresa Collins) with Potting Soil Archival Ink before putting the whole thing through.  I was hoping the Archival Ink would stick to the crayons creating additional depth - didn't really work but the final look is still neat I think.  I love how the browns marbled together to look real wood grain.

Then I wanted to play with blending the crayons some more so I set aside the "wood grain"  and stamped two of each bird in the set on a piece of watercolor paper & set to work.  I tested a different idea on each bird & ended up with 3 I liked (the third is featured on the "birthday wish" card in previous post).  For the blue bird I scribbled several colors of crayon my craft sheet & used a fine tip watercolor brush to pick up pigment to blend onto the stamped bird. I went in several times to create layers & shading.  For the purple bird I colored directly on the stamped bird & used my finger (dipped in water) to blend, I think this makes for a more 'rustic' end look since it's not as smooth & you can see the crayon strokes still but always fun to get a little messy :-P.  I finished both birds with Glossy Accent eyes.

At this point I decided all these parts would make a perfect card for my in-laws because FIL is a woodsman & MIL is a bird lover & they in the woods of rural OH ;-).  So mounted the birds on the woodgrain w/ foam adhesive & added the sentiment stamped on manila, then mounted the whole thing on blue cardstock & topped it off with a twine bow.

Have a great day & remember "the greatest casualty is being forgotten" :-)

** Entered into Simon Says Stamo Wednesday "Anything Goes" Challenge **

No comments:

Post a Comment