Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Father's Day

When it comes to making cards for men, it can seem like all you do is repeat the same style & theme constantly.  This is particularly true for my woodsmen father-in-law, I think nearly every card &/or gift in 10 years has been wood or tool themed.  I was desperate to do something new when my husband reminded me that his family sailed a lot when he was a kid and those outings formed the man (& sailor) he is today.  Then I was scrolling through my Cameo (.svg) files for something else & came across "You are my Anchor" design by Carta Bella so it seemed fitting to become the focus of this years father's day card.  I printed out the design on canvas before cutting it out on my cameo.  For the background I painted waves on a lt blue background & spread translucent texture paste through a dot fade stencil to create a sea look.  Then I used some (Carta Bella) paper scraps I had on my desk to make triangles & sewed them into a circle.

**Entered @ Simon Says Stamp Wednesday "For A Guy" Challenge

My husband's card I left up to my (elder) children's design; my elder daughter wanted blue & hearts & my son wanted metallic gears. So for the background I embossed Silhouette Gold Foil in a Tim Holtz gear folder & then aged it with Archival Ink.  The central heart is made of metal gears painted in picket fence & embossed with Rusty Hinge Distress Powder.  The sentiment photographed darker then it really it is - simply stamped on manila scraps (that was colored with London Blue Dylusions & Vintage Photo Distress Stain).


Making Father's Day cards led me to thinking about my late maternal Grandpa & consequentially my Grandma.  And of course one doesn't really ever need a reason to send a card, so I thought a little surprise mail would make her day.  The background is embossed in a Craftwell herringbone folder & lightly splattered with Antique Gold Distress Paint.  The cute hot air balloon is from Simon Says Stamp "Darling Friends" collection, colored with Cracked Pistachio/ Abandoned Coral/ Faded Jeans/ Vintage Photo/ Hickory Smoke Distress Markers then covered in a thin layer of Stickles & mounted on an Action Wobble Spring.

2 comments:

  1. all 3 cards are fabulous! i love that you followed your kids direction for the one for their dad :) thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great trio of cards - all so individual. My favourite is the anchor one - those colourful flags give it such movement and fun, and I love the stitching detail. Great way to use up scraps too! Thanks so much for your visit and lovely comment the other week, and I'm sorry it's taken so long to return the favour.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete