Sunday, June 12, 2016

This one's for the boy...

Sometimes I think boys can be shorted when it comes to crafting because girl stuff is generally easier & (at least my eldest) girls tend to request things to be made much more frequently.  But you know even if they don't say so, boys like to have things 'just for them' too!

When we redid my son's awhile ago I in his desired robot theme I made him a canvas to match.


The entire canvas was covered with Shabby Shutters & Peeled Paint distress paint blended together with a barely wet paint brush.  Once that was dry I used Mowed Lawn & Forest Moss distress stain through gear stencils (cut from my Cameo) and for more depth I used Brushed Pewter distress paint with a dry sponge for a softer look & Broken China mixed into texture paste.  After those were dry I miked Spiced Marmalade into clear translucent texture paste & spread it through the dot fade stencil randomly. I believe it was Dina Wakley who said you could never have too many layers so as a last canvas layer I covered a numbers stamp with Brushed Pewter distress paint & rolled it in random places across the front.  While each canvas layer was drying I worked on the robots for the front; I cut them out of chipboard from a Cameo file, covered them with foil tape & colored them with alcohol inks.  Finally the title is cut out of grungepaper (JW Alphabet font on Cameo) , embossed with a gears folder & painted in Brushed Pewter.

As I wrote about last week I made my niece a doll carrier & once I finally bribed my son to wear so I could get pictures he didn't want to take it off (5 yr olds!).  So I promised to make him one of his own.  I struck gold & found out-of-production "How to Train Your Dragon" fabric at JoAnn's for $2/yd (after sale & coupon) so I bought all they had to make a beanbag cover (not done yet) and had plenty leftover for his own carrier.

Of course the first toy to get the privilege of being carried was his beloved Eeyore & he declared "now it's even easier to give him kisses!"

And at of course Stormfly "is bored & needs to go to Target with us!" - why I didn't think of this years ago when Erin was small & left her beloved friends all over the place, they can't get lost if attached!


No comments:

Post a Comment